Friday, June 27, 2014

Re: Applause for Councils Dealings with Homeless

Well, they are meant as neighborhood parks - which is why its so sad to see homeless folks peeing and pooping in them...like I've seen at both Cascade Park and John Ball. Haven't seen any at Shumway Park yet.

Its not a bad idea for at least summer months, when parks are busiest. I'm not saying put them in out of the way ill lit spots - but in heavily used areas (near playgrounds for instance) they're a good idea. MacLeay Park and Kenton Park in Portland both have them, as does Beaumont Wilshire Park.

Commissioner Fritz of Portland thinks they're not as great as Portland Loos (a "Vancouver Loo" somewhere in town LOL, like near Who Song?) but they DO THE JOB.

Appreciated,
Shea

PS I'm posting your reply and mine to my blog. Thanks.


On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 6:30 AM, McEnerny-Ogle, Anne <Anne.McEnerny-Ogle@cityofvancouver.us> wrote:
Good morning, Shea.
You left out Shumway Park!
Seriously, these are meant to be neighborhood parks. That means, go home (if you have a home) and use your own toilet.
Community Parks (larger ones, such as Esther Short and Leverich Park) have restrooms.
I'll check about Honey Buckets.  I think there was one for the VSAA track and we sent the children to that one.
Anne

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 26, 2014, at 12:46 AM, "Shea Michael Anderson" <sheaside@gmail.com> wrote:

Applause to Vancouver City Council for not spending our tax dollars either evicting homeless or doing invasive maneuvers (invasive plant removal) that our neighbor to the south has done (The Mercury, June 25 2014) on the Springwater Trail.

SHAME on Council for not following PDX Commish Amanda Fritz's lead and putting Porta Potties in our city parks. What DOES IT TAKE, Mr Holmes and Council, to provide toilets in our parks and keep people from pooping in the bushes? Do I need to file an initiative? Im sure I could get 4.5K people to sign that one.

Cc'ing Eric Holmes, Tim Leavitt, Anne McEnerny-Ogle, Jack Burkman, Bart Hansen, Alishia Topper on this one. Cmon folks, get this business cleaned up-the "task force on parks" (per Holmes two months ago) is a farce. We need some Honey Buckets STAT.

And until I see a Porta Potty at John Ball + Carter + Arnada Parks, I aint shutting up.




--
Shea Michael Anderson
Owner, The Sacred Garden
Blogger, O Vancouvria!
12514 SE 10th St, Vancouver WA 98683

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, go ahead and say something - let me and others know what you think, how you feel, what should be done...what I didn't say, should have said...or how shrill I am/not shrill enough. Be assertive here.