Monday, July 28, 2014

City Hall/Esther Short wi-fi

Anne, Eric (and the rest of the City Hall crew), Lee (and the Downtown Association,  

Why can't Esther Short Park and the Vancouver City Hall plaza have better wireless in and around the building? 

I tried, with no avail, on both my Android phone and my laptop, to connect to the "Vancouver Wireless Zone" and the "vanctr-public" networks this morning. Got only ONE bar for the Vancouver Wireless Zone sitting RIGHT next to City Hall. Got a better signal in Propstra Square (where the salmon clock tower is), but still couldn't connect - it doesn't like either of my IP addresses, apparently. 

I realize this rant may seem like a nitpick. However, Bend (population 80K) has extensive free public wireless Internet coverage through all of its downtown, Mirror Pond/Drake Park, and the Old Mill District - covering over 3 square miles. 

You would think that a city that aspires to have a creative "Silicon Alley" area of graphic designers, programmers, and other hip Internet folk on Main Street, and a city who is STRIVING to fill its as-yet-unpaid-for Convention Center/Hilton Hotel, would WANT to get a better wireless network downtown. Given as many festivals as y'all fill Esther Short Park with, you'd also think you'd want this as a boon to tourism and commerce downtown. 

So - I'd like to hear from City Hall as to what y'all are doing to address this problem. I'd like to hear from Vancouver's Downtown Association as to what steps y'all are taking to WORK with City Hall to increase wireless coverage downtown. I don't need a lot. But a stronger signal, especially in Esther Short Park, would help US all as we make our way in the world. 

I'm sure y'all are working on solutions. Let's hear 'em. 

Thank you!

PS - Be aware this email constitutes a public post to O Vancouvria!, ovancouvria.blogspot.com. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, go ahead and say something - let me and others know what you think, how you feel, what should be done...what I didn't say, should have said...or how shrill I am/not shrill enough. Be assertive here.