Friday, October 3, 2014

Anson Service Speaks Intimately With O Vancouvria!, In the Kiggins!

Today at O Vancouvria!, we're sitting down with Dr. Anson Service, the moderate and libertarian-minded GOP candidate for the 49th District seat currently held by Sharon Wylie (Dem), who so far has kept "mum" with the press (including this blog). Sharon, who did NOT attend Hello Vancouver!'s open candidate cattle call at their September 24 Kiggins Theatre show, has been conspicuously quiet about 49th District (west Vancouver) issues. In fact, this blog pointedly did NOT endorse Sharon for the primary, choosing instead to look to Anson at the "get things done right" candidate. 

Anson, fiscally conservative and socially liberal (NOT progressive, liberal - as in, "live and let live") plays a nice counter-fiddle to Speaker Pro Tem Jim Moeller, the other 49th District House seat-holder. Plus, Anson, a political psychologist and father of six who lives west of I-5 (and enjoys Uptown Village's Vancouver Pizza for his large brood of small ones), is easy on the eyes, and a snappy dresser - always a PLUS when talking to me. 

I had approached Anson in the Kiggins Theatre mens' room (NO "foot tapping" here) and specifically moved the conversation into their upstairs lobby, so as to give privacy to other Hello Vancouver! guests doing their business. We had a nice rousing chat about all sorts of relevant west Van issues, and Anson strikes me as the kind of sensible non-politician guy who means business - a fact confirmed by Mike Briggs, the Dem candidate for Brandon Vick's seat in the 18th District (Camas/Battle Ground). In fact, as folks know, O Vancouvria! supports any and ALL candidates who can be sensible about the issues on the ground and reach OUT to the public - the very people they are responsible to. 

Below is what Anson had to say. Stay tuned Sunday for our follow-up on downtown homelessness, and "tiny house" zoning in Vancouver: an issue that Councilmember Topper is NOW bringing before City Council to get some action on, which we like to hear. 

1) What would you like us to know about yourself?  
The only thing my opponent has to hang over me is that she has been a legislator before. She likes to drill that one point over and over, as if there was no possible way to learn how to be a legislator or as if there was no way a new legislator could be successful. This, obviously is ridiculous. I see why she would want to really hammer that idea into people's heads. The fact of the matter is that I have more business experience than she does, I have also been a consultant, I have professional education experience that she does not, I am a far better communicator than she is, I donate more of my time to charitable organizations than she does, and I have never been a professional politician. In fact, I can't stand "politicians" because the typical politician will say anything to get elected, and that drives me nuts. Show people who you are and let them decide rather than pretending to be who you are not just for an election. I also am very savvy with keeping in touch with people on social media. Most legislators keep in touch with constituents in that manner, except for my opponent. She has gone many many months without posting anything. When I asked her questions, they were not answered. When my friend asked her questions, she ignored them. She is not doing a good job of being transparent and attentive to keeping the district up to date on what is going on. 

2) What would you like us to know about your opponent? She has worked hard to go against the voice of Vancouver. WHen Vancouver said they did not want light rail on three different occasions, she continued to petition the state to go ahead with it anyway. It made no sense to me. Then she petitioned Oregon to go ahead with lightrail without Washington's help.  Also, she is very proud of a bill she voted for that will triple the number of license plates we will be throwing in the garbage starting on Jan  1 2015. She calls it a success because it gets rid of the rule that says you have to throw your license plate away every seven years whether it needs it or not. Now we have to throw our license plates away each time we title our cars. So even if the plate is 2 months old and the tabs are still good, you will have to take it off and throw it in the garbage. She says this is a good thing. She TOTALLY missed the point on this one. She tried to pass a similar bill for 3 years and failed, so when this one went through she has referred to it as her license plate bill. It is not hers, but she voted for it. So there you go. She also is part of the group who wants a new state income tax and a raise in sales tax to $0.11. Then there is the gas tax she wants to increase. 

3) What experience do you bring to this office? I bring ten years of customer service experience, 15 years of business experience, experience as a business owner, consultant, and educator. I am now a scientist and I have so much school that I can easily empathize with any college student. I am also a professional communicator and listener. My opponent claims to be "the Leader That Listens" but I am still trying to figure out what she is listening to, because it is not to the residents of the 49th district or me or my friends. 

4) What strengths do you have for the position? If you have ever tried to find out what bill is being considered for a vote, or read a fiscal note, you know that the information is difficult to find and difficult to understand if you even find it. I hold strength in the fact that I see things like normal people see things. I do not see them through the lense of a politician or government employee or extremist. I already represent the people of the 49th district, and now I would like to Represent them in Olympia. 

5) What hopes do you have for this office if elected? I want to make the dealings of the legislature easier to find and understand. I would also hold a dozen town halls each year instead of 2 or 3 like my opponent does. I will answer questions and not ignore people like my opponent does. 

6) How will you bring that vision (for the office) into action? I believe there are few with the skills and background and natural talent to work with others no matter their positions or ideals. I am one of those who can do that. It takes the ability to work with others well, and I do that. 

7) Why are you running for this job? 
Because the Representatives of the 49th District have voted in ways that will decimate Vancouver's economy. Luckily they have failed in their attempts but they are getting closer to passing laws that will destroy Vancouver. I am one of tens of thousands who has pleaded with them to stop their madness, but they continue to vote against Vancouver. I believe I make better decisions than my opponent.  I also believe I have more energy, better ideas, and a proven track record of accomplishing what others say is unlikely.
8) Tell us something humorous that's happened on the campaign trail. I was set up at Esther Short Park with my booth there and I was giving away 100% Vancouver shirts to people, and an elderly woman came up to me and asked who I was and what I was doing. I introduced myself and I told her that I was running for Representative. She said, "I've never heard of you." She then looked around at my booth and asked who I was running against. I said I was running against Sharon Wylie. Her face lit up as she said she already voted for Sharon and that she was a long time democrat. She then said she would never vote for a Republican, but added, "But if more Republicans were as handsome as you are, I could be be persuaded to change my vote." She then turned and walked away. I had to laugh. I thought she was hilarious. 

9) What's your favorite color/s, and why? No favorite colors. I guess I have colors I prefer to see on certain things. I love metallic green on classic cars, and I love red hair. I think purple in the sky is amazing and aqua blue water is the coolest thing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, go ahead and say something - let me and others know what you think, how you feel, what should be done...what I didn't say, should have said...or how shrill I am/not shrill enough. Be assertive here.