Friday, May 23, 2014

Harney Street Speedway

In a short post this evening, I sit on my porch looking out at Harney Street & wonder why it is there are no stop signs on our street between 19th and fourth plain. a total of 7 blocks. let alone marked crosswalks or speed bumps.

I am sure that other streets in Vancouver are suffering a similar plight. the trouble I have with the lack of stop signs on my street is that many, myself sometimes included, tend to go way faster than 25... there are no obstacles to slow folks down.

I have heard that the city refuses to put 3 Way stops in, and will only install stop signs at four way intersections. my street does not have a four way intersection on seven blocks indicated. so does this mean no stop sign anywhere?

Harney runs next to John Ball Park, and there are lots of kids living on the street. I can't believe the city does not find it necessary to at least put in a marked crosswalk at the park. let alone a couple speed bumps like the ones on Franklin, or gasp, a three way stop... maybe near the park?

I have asked the citys transportation department before about getting stop signs put in when I used to live on 17th at Markle. I filled out their little form online, no response.

I understand that the lack of slow down obstacles on my street is an ongoing problem. I am not yet going to bring this to the attention of our city manager, but I am going to be a bit more vocal about this. folks on our street deserve to be safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, go ahead and say something - let me and others know what you think, how you feel, what should be done...what I didn't say, should have said...or how shrill I am/not shrill enough. Be assertive here.