Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Not Nagging For Heck Of It

Ive got this suspicion that many in Clark County think Im just ranting because I can, and Im well aware of the larger than average number of online crackpots here. While I perhaps fall into the crackpot category, i dont post on things I see going on (or not being done) just to whine, bemoan, or condemn.

Rather, I write on what I see around me as a professional social scientist (with MA to prove it) interested in urban issues and life - as they happen where I live. I write in order to highlight things and draw attention of those with influence and power to get changes made. I write in order to start a dialogue about fixing problems and creating a workable city - we arent a bedroom town anymore folks.

I love that some - Councilmember Burkman, Co Admin McCauley, Co Comm Mielke, Andy Silver, Temple Lentz, Jim Mains, Gary Bock, Sen. Rivers, the Library, and Rep. Moeller, among others, take time to respond thoughtfully to my points. This means we as a city and county are working together to at least here eachother out.

I dislike and find it bemusing that others - the Downtown Association, Co Comm Madore, Mayor Leavitt, Clark College, the Vanc City Atty's office, Vanc City Mgr Holmes, and others who I know are aware Im raising up questions about issues we need to look at - either completely ignore me when I ask them direct for their input or accuse me of being a Commie crazy with dangerous "south of the river" ideas. As well as ban me from their public FB pages (Leavitt & Madore).

I believe folks like this think that by pretending Im "not there", my questions will go away. Well, Im not like some crackpots here who "circle jerk" accuse at public comment time. In fact, I think that online critique is just fine for my needs.

However, ignoring me just makes me look into issues Ive raised even more, and keep raising them. In short, I usually dont "go away".

Cmon folks - what yall afraid of? Lets bring your ideas on how to solve issues and make changes for the better into the online light of day. I wont bite. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, go ahead and say something - let me and others know what you think, how you feel, what should be done...what I didn't say, should have said...or how shrill I am/not shrill enough. Be assertive here.