Sunday, September 28, 2014

Tiny House Zoning Sunday, and Downtown Homelessness; O Vancouvria! Chit Chats About the Nuts n Bolts of 18th District Needs, With Candidate MIKE BRIGGS!

HOMELESS SLEEPING IN DOORWAYS IN DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER; CITY COUNCIL HAS NO RELIEF FOR TINY HOUSE CONSTRUCTION, SAYS "ANDY SILVER WILL GET BACK TO THEM"

This past Wednesday at Hello Vancouver!, host and community activist leader Temple Lentz interviewed, live on stage at the Kiggins Theater, Dee Williams, author of The Big Tiny, a book about her construction of, and residence in, an 84-square foot house, currently located in Olympia. 
Dee Williams and her 84 square foot home

Dee is a lovely and sparkling lady to meet and talk to in person, and I promised to keep Dee updated on my "tiny house" - my 1978 "BIG YELLOW" Ford van, that I was living in until yesterday. Dee was shocked to hear, however, that the City of Vancouver LACKS zoning for "tiny house" construction and dwelling. 

This is an unfortunate oversight on the part of City leaders, given the current scarcity of rental stock and continued high cost of buying homes all over Vancouver City, especially in the more desirable "in-city" areas WEST of Interstate 5 (Hough, Arnada, Shumway, Carter Park, Lincoln, Northwest). Portland, which does zone for "tiny houses", is a leader in this field of living better with LESS - less space, less things, less worries. 

City Manager Eric Holmes and Councilmember Alishia Topper, Vancouver City Council's "go-to" person on housing and homeless issues, had NO COMMENT as of press time today, Sunday, Sept 28. Councilmember Bill Turlay, however, had the following statement to make: 

"Shea,
Yesterday I attended the Healthy Living Collaborative of SW Washington conference at the Hilton.  During one of the breaks, I had a conversation with Andy Silver and posed a similar question to him regarding Portland's "tiny houses" efforts.  He is very aware of their progress; however, he had some observations that might be major impediments.  I'm sure he will share those items with you, but he is certainly the one who has first hand knowledge of the project's major problems.

I cannot speak for the City Manager or the council; however, it should be noted we, as city council members, receive periodic briefings on the homeless problems facing the city and our local community.  I look forward to a "tiny house" project briefing if Portland is successful in their endeavors.  This is an opportunity to capitalize on lessons learned from our neighbors to the south.

Thank you for your concern for the homeless."


Bill's response, as you can read, is very insightful and thoughtful regarding the process of moving towards consensus, with help from community leaders on this issue and outside input from our neighbor to the south, on the "tiny house" issue, as well as the very serious issue of homelessness in Vancouver in general. 

Director of the Council on the Homeless Andy Silver, who had NO COMMENT as of press time for this post, had
spoken to me by phone in May of 2014 about approximate numbers of homeless in Vancouver, following his sit-down for Hello Vancouver! with Temple Lentz that month. Andy indicated to me the following numbers about homeless people in Clark County: 

115 "hardcore" homeless: people sleeping on streets
800-1000 in shelter beds/transitional housing
10-15K (estimated, a rough guess on Andy's part) folks sleeping in cars, on couches, or renting motel rooms/living with relatives

As someone who as recently as yesterday had been living in my van, I find these numbers poignant. What I find more appalling, however, is the lack of sheer will on City Council's part, and on the part of the Council for the Homeless, and on other civic leaders, to do THEIR PART in stepping up efforts. Silver and Vancouver Police have spoken, repeatedly, about the need for "housing first" - simply to alleviate constantly rising emergency room treatment and first responder costs to homeless peoples' medical and criminal crises on the streets. However, Silver said in May that efforts are "very limited to nonexistent" to help quasi-homeless folks (those couch-surfing etc), including NO (as of press time, per Council on the Homeless spokespeople by phone) SAFE PLACES TO CAR-CAMP IN CLARK COUNTY. PERIOD. 

I also find it intriguing that Councilmember Topper, who had again NOT RESPONDED TO ME BY PRESS TIME, has not been more proactive on directing City Manager Eric Holmes to reach out to zoning officials and personnel across the river on "tiny house" zoning. Nor, as Bill Turlay indicated, have any workshops for Council been scheduled.

I CALL UPON THE VANCOUVER CITY COUNCIL TO RECTIFY THIS OVERSIGHT IMMEDIATELY, and meet with their partners from Portland to put "tiny house" zoning regulations into effect - helping to alleviate what is becoming a severe rental availability and price crisis in Vancouver WEST of 136th. I also call on the Council to work with the Council on the Homeless, and other civic groups, to come up with SAFE PLACES for folks to car-camp (if they are orderly, and particularly safe car camping for families). I find it interesting that City Council, with the notable exception of Bill Turlay, and the City Manager both, are sticking their heads in the sand like ostriches on this issue. 

This picture, taken of a homeless couple sleeping in a doorway, in the rain, at W Mill Plain and Columbia Street, should illustrate why these actions are so needful if the above did NOT get my message across: 


homeless in doorway, Mill Plain and Columbia

TALKING 18TH DISTRICT
NUTS AND BOLTS, WITH MIKE BRIGGS!!!!
I sat down with Mike Briggs, Democratic candidate for the Washington House from the 18th District (Camas/Fisher's Landing, Washougal, Battle Ground, La Center), running against Madore-imitator Brandon Vick (GOP) at lovely Cafe Picolo Paradiso in picturesque downtown Camas the other day over coffee to talk "nuts and bolts" with Mike about his views on pressing issues for the constituents he hopes to represent this next year in Olympia. 

Mike, who is a sensible, down-to-earth, approachable guy, actually got started out in life down in this part of the world literally SELLING nuts, and bolts, and other hardware, out of the back of his truck, for a company called "FAS'N-all" (not to be confused with the company Fastenal), on various routes that took him all over NW Oregon and SW Washington. He and his wife Janet have been in Washougal for a while now, and Mike is simply a regular Joe who wants to make a difference in Olympia - think "Mr Smith Goes to Washington", only better looking, and with a more modern wardrobe. (-;

Mike Briggs

Mike had many interesting and insightful things to say on issues affecting 18th District voters, and Clark County folks as a whole. He says, as a "nuts and bolts" kinda guy, that he's "touting himself as a moderate - NOT a party guy, self-educated, middle of the road...(someone) who appeals to (peoples') common sense". Mike, who is very good at getting his common sense points across (such as his thoughts about mass transit and how people move around "changing very radically" very soon - like with our soon-to-be-built "bus rapid transit" on 4th Plain Blvd), finds that he's able to "appeal to most reasonable people". His schtick, very different from Vick's and his House 18th District counterpart Liz Pike's tagline of slickness, is that he just wants to "talk with you". NOT try and hard sell you on things you don't need. Which is needful for 18th District voters, especially those disaffected Tea Party and Libertarian folks who voted for Michael Delavar in the primary. 

I found it really, really funny that K.J. Hinton, conservative Clark County political blogger extraordinaire, has called Briggs "Mussolini Mike" in print (after the Italian far-right Fascist dictator and Nazi ally in WWII). Mike, who is as far from right or left as one can get and still have strong ideas and visions about "first things first" and "next things next" for his district, was at first appalled telling me this. When I told him he was in good company (Hinton has referred to the City of Vancouver as the "Vancouver Soviet" and Representative Jim Moeller as "Lavrenty Beria", 1950s Soviet KGB chief under Stalin), he laughed his head off. It was a good quirky moment showing why Madore-esque lemming spokesfolks, such as Hinton, are so scared to talk "nuts and bolts" with Briggs, an all around good guy. 

Briggs, who spoke straight talk to me about how "change (in terms of suburban growth) is inevitable" in the 18th District, noted that Vancouver is "the tip of the iceberg" for growth on the prettiest river (the Columbia) - as voters in the mushrooming cities of the 18th District know all too well. Briggs has some smart ideas on increasing mass transit options - especially for folks needing to get to work and back in the 18th. He also has some smart ideas for better commuting - whether by car or carpool - and ideas on how to improve transportation corridor connections, particularly between Battle Ground and the rest of the suburban area, and between Camas and East Vancouver - the nexus of 18th District growth. 

Finally, as far as Commissioner Mador-e's (that's with a long "e", as in "Midori") vaunted and touted East County bridge across the Columbia River goes, Mike is ALL FOR IT - AS LONG AS THE I-5 MESS GETS FIXED FIRST. Mike recognizes, unlike Brandon Vick, Liz Pike, and others who are on the Madore lemming bandwagon waving the E 192nd Ave crossing in our faces on advisory votes, that a fix for badly congested Interstate 5 comes FIRST. All else is secondary. 

Here's the text of my formal interview with Briggs, where he answers 9 questions O Vancouvria! is asking of all the political candidates in the run-up to November 4's election. Read on, and stay tuned for Shane Gardner, Sheriff candidate and devoted hermit crab owner, on Tuesday, Sept 30! 

Interview with Mike Briggs: 

1) What would you like us to know about yourself? 

I am a conscientious person who has the time and motivation to run for an important office in the State of Washington. I am not a career politician. I have never ran for an office before. I have lived my whole life in this area. I am a disabled veteran and served my country for six years in the Navy. I retired early at the age of 56 in the wood products industry. My last position was as a lumber trader. I do not owe anybody anything (except for a small mortgage on my current home) either finanically or politically. I consider myself to be a Progressive Moderate. 

2) What would you like us to know about your opponent? 

You should find that out for yourself.

3) What experience do you bring to this office? 

My experience comes from a full life already lived...and with a long way to go. 

I have many years experience in this area's forest industry, have served my country in the Navy being attached to a Helicopter Combat Support Squadron where are principal mission was search & rescue. I have a good financial background. I have worked as an auditor for the I.R.S. and I have also worked with disabled veterans with the U.S. Veteran's Administration. I have also returned to school, PSU, and am very close to finally attaining my BA degree in Liberal Studies. I am concentrating on Creative Non Fiction Writing and Political Science.

My wife and I have three adult children and three grandchildren. 

4) What strengths do you have for the position? 

Integrity, ethics, courage of conviction, intelligence, articulation, passion, drive, critical thinking skills, and the knowledge between, right & wrong, and of all shades in between.

5) What hopes do you have for this office if elected? 

I want to bring leadership, courage, and the ability to make decisive decisions. 

Specifically, I want to heal our education system and I want to creat the kind of transportation corridor for SW Washington, that will be the envy of the Pacific NW, and I want to market SW Washington for all the good it possess for business and for people.

6) How will you bring that vision (for the office) into action? 

Through vision, intelligence, perseverance and the powers of my persuasion. 

7) Why are you running for this job? 

Two reasons:

1) To give back
2) To be an example for others

8) Tell us something humorous that's happened on the campaign trail. 

I was working very hard putting up some big 4x8 signs. It was hot. I was hot. I had not eaten breakfast and I was not staying hydrated. Former Mayor Nan Hendriksen drove by and stopped. My fellow volunteers and I walked over to her car. She took one look at me and said, "Mike, do you feel ok"? I replied, "Well, I am tired and it is hot." She said, "Take care of yourself. You don't look good." Then she drove off.

I looked in the reflection of her rear car window before she sped off. 

I did not look good. 

(Later I found out that I was a Type II Diabetic).

9) What's your favorite color/s, and why? 

Deep Forest Green. 

When I was in the Navy and far away, if I felt lonely, or sad, I would just think of the forest, deep inside, and remember that "Deep Forest Green" color. It always made me feel better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, go ahead and say something - let me and others know what you think, how you feel, what should be done...what I didn't say, should have said...or how shrill I am/not shrill enough. Be assertive here.