Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Carolyn Crain's Circle Jerk

So...go read the latest All Politics Is Local first, then come back here. Just some thoughts on Carolyn Crain:

http://blogs.columbian.com/all-politics-is-local/an-uncomfortable-and-inaccurate-choice-of-words/


MY COMMENTS ON THE COLUMBIAN:
"Heaven help me. Poor Carolyn. I honestly feel for the woman, particularly as I too share a longstanding use of double entrendre malaprops - though I'm not sure she had any sexual meaning in mind with said phrase. As far as her "adapting" the use of "circle jerk" to her statement (per Dennis Henry), I don't think one can blame Vancouver City Council for giggling and/or shifting around in their seats - its not like the meaning of that term in the sense of positive feedback among "a group or subcultures enclosed space" (and here I'm thinking Boy Scouts? I used to um...well...as a boy in my fort with my buddies..) is well known. Outside of academia, most think it means exactly what we think it does.

Along those lines re: City Council gestures during her comment: I find it highly interesting, as an openly gay man, that Leavitt and Hansen "shifted uncomfortably in their seats while looking at eachother". I'm absolutely positive there's nothing deeper to read than "what is she (Carolyn) going off about?" However, I'm now giggling like a middle school boy myself."s

MORE IMPORTANTLY - why is the City of Vancouver allowing someone who DOES NOT PAY PROPERTY TAXES to them the time of day during public comment, let alone standing for her City Council run? I realize public comment needs to be open to ALL, but the City needs to get some common sense going on and gently persuade Carolyn to take her beef elsewhere to a more relevant governing body (what, a fire district in Orchards? The Hazel Dell sewer district?) Maybe Carolyn and others like minded could (gasp) form their own city - Lawd knows unincorporated Vancouver suburbs NEED to get off a constantly withering County teat. There she could talk about circle jerking from a City Council pulpit all she wants.

I'm not cc'ing Vancouver City Council on this one - I'm sure they'll read my commentary in the paper soon enough. Besides, Mayor Leavitt's probably well aware, thanks to my Facebook post regarding his looks, that I find him attractive. Still out on whether he or Steve Stuart is hotter (and I forgot all about Bart Hansen, thank you Columbian!).

Over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please, go ahead and say something - let me and others know what you think, how you feel, what should be done...what I didn't say, should have said...or how shrill I am/not shrill enough. Be assertive here.